The Israel Ride

The Israel Ride

Billed as “the ride of a lifetime,” the Israel Ride delivers as promised. According to Andrea (Andy) Roisman, a veteran traveler to Israel and the sole Detroit rider on the 7-day cycling tour this past October, pedaling 250 miles through the desert from Jerusalem to Eilat was a transformative Israel experience.

Where There’s a Will Leather Goods, There’s a Way

Newcomer to the neighborhood and a welcoming gathering place in Midtown, Will Leather Goods is a 9,000-square-foot retail experience selling bags, belts, hats, home goods and a great cup of coffee, too.

Hazon

Why Hazon, Why Now?

As all nonprofits grow by the grace and trust of many, Hazon – a uniquely Jewish eco-conscious community – is starting to take root in Detroit.

Nati Faber

Honored Student: Defining Young Leadership

His teachers describe him as an exemplary student, a natural leader, a consensus builder and a role model. His favorite subjects in school? Biology, Calculus and Talmud. This is Nathaniel Faber – “Nati” as his friends and family call him – a senior at Akiva and the recipient of the 2015 David Hermelin Scholarship Award.

David Contorer, Deloris Terrell, Harriet Orley, Karen Sosnick-Schoenberg, Margo Pernick and Nancy Grosfeld

Can a Loan Save a Life?

Put dollars and sense together with a particularly Jewish Detroit sensibility and you have the oldest of the Jewish Federation’s 17 local partner agencies, Hebrew Free Loan (HFL).

To Life! Reflections on a Legacy of Caring

As in many cities across the country today, Detroit no longer has a “Jewish hospital.” Most fortunately, however, the legacy of Sinai Hospital is alive and well, living today through the work of The Jewish Fund.

Mike Morse

Backpack Man of the Year

True to his name emblazoned on top of his office building at the corner of Northwestern and Evergreen in Southfield, Mike Morse doesn’t do anything on a small scale. “You may have noticed from my advertising and the sign on my building, I work, play and live . . . to win,” he says.