Scenes from the Archives
By Vivian Henoch, Editor myJewishDetroit
December 1, 2012
Clothes change. Hairstyles change. Families grow. The community builds. Happily, Chanukah stays Chanukah through the ages.
Spin of the Dredel, Circa 1930
They called it “playschool” then, not preschool. Back in the ’30s the Jewish Community Center’s playschool for children under five met at the 12th Street Council Center.
Family Celebration, November 20, 1956
Chanukah candle lighting at the home Dr. Samuel Krohn and family, a photo from the Archives of Labor and Urban Affairs, Wayne State University.
Chanukah Party, December 1967
Say “latke” and smile for the camera at the Jewish Community Center Nursery School
Pretty as a Picture, Circa 1960
For those who remember: the days when the Jewish Community Center was on Meyers Road.
Remembering Mom, 1995
Celebrating Chanukah at the Jewish Federation Institute for Single Jewish Mothers