Scenes from the Archives
Established in 1991, the Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives documents the rich and varied history of Jewish Detroit
By Vivian Henoch, Editor myJewishDetroit
September 1, 2012
Established in 1991, the Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives documents the rich and varied history of Jewish Detroit with the mission to collect, preserve and make available for research the records of the Jewish Federation, United Jewish Foundation, as well as Federation’s family of agencies and local community organizations.
The Archives maintains its collection of major manuscripts in the Reuther Library on the campus of Wayne State University. Additionally, numerous small collections of individuals and organizations can be accessed at the Max M. Fisher Building in Bloomfield Hills. The collection is open to students, film makers, scholars, journalists and all those with an interest in the history of Detroit’s Jewish community.
The year was 1941
Fred M. Butzel was known as the Dean of Detroit Jewry. Born in Detroit on August 25, 1877, the philanthropist and community leader passed away in 1948 at age 70.
Each fall, at the annual meeting of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit, the Fred M. Butzel Memorial Award for Distinguished Community Service is presented to a member of the local community whose leadership and devotion rise above all others and who exemplifies the characteristics of the award’s extraordinary namesake, Fred M. Butzel.
Past recipients of the award have included names familiar to the Michigan Jewish community: Max M. Fisher, William Davidson, David and Doreen Hermelin, to name a few. These men and women have led lives devoted to making the world a better, kinder place. –From Michigan Jewish History, Wendy Rose Brice, Editor
The year was 1956
The place was Adat Shalom. Cantor Nicholas Fenakal, Shofar-blower Morris Hadrich and Rabbi E. Segal celebrate a sweet New Year.
The “new” year was 1965
The place was the “old” Jewish Community Center at Curtis and Meyer. Recognize anyone you know?
The year was 1968
Counting every cent, Keren Ami collections from United Hebrew Schools of Detroit, present a check to the Allied Jewish Campaign. Smiling, a youthful Mark Hauser stands ready to receive the donation on behalf of a grateful Jewish community.