Resources Upon Request

The mission of the Jewish Archives is to collect, preserve and make available to the public the resources, photographs and document collections of the Jewish Federation, United Jewish Foundation, Federation’s partner agencies and local community organizations.

Research can take on a variety of formats and purposes, from a simple call from a student seeking information for a research paper to an editor scrutinizing documentation for an article or book.

Through the years, there have been interesting requests for assistance in preparing exhibits, videos, retrospectives or timelines celebrating milestones in the community.

The year was 2008. The exhibit was “Bricks, Mortar and More.”

Archives collaborated with the Reuther Library of Labor and Urban Affairs to provide materials for the exhibit celebrating the Jewish Community and the Growth of Wayne State University.

Leonard N. Simons Building

The Jewish Community Archives was named for Leonard N. Simons, as was the home of Wayne State University’s Press. Designed by Albert Kahn for the B.F.Goodrich Company in 1913, the building was rededicated in 1994.

The year was 2006. “We Were There.”

In collaboration with Jewish War Veterans of Michigan, the Archives produced an extraordinary permanent exhibit housed at  the Jewish Community Center in West Bloomfield.

Jewish War Veterans of Michigan Journal, April 1984

Documents and artifacts commemorating the contributions and sacrifices of Jewish War Veterans of Michigan can be found on permanent display at the D. Dan and Betty Kahn Building on the Eugene and Marcia Applebaum Jewish Community Campus in West Bloomfield.

 

The year was 2011.  Chai time for a special anniversary celebration of  the JCC’s Jimmy Prentis Morris Building in Oak Park.

When the Jewish Community Center’s Jimmy Prentis Morris Building celebrated the “Chai” anniversary of its renovation, the Archives provided photos, clippings and memorabilia to produce an exhibit. Designers from Federation’s Marketing Department developed graphic panels for display.

Family Fun Day at the J 1956

The year was 1956 when the “10 Mile Branch” of the Jewish Community Center opened with a “Family Fun Day” dedication on its playground. This photo was part of a retrospective exhibit celebrating the “Chai” Anniversary of the Center’s renovation.

Now on display at Fleischman Apartments

With a rich history to document, the Archives serves as our community resource to help organizations and agencies honor their past.  Next time you visit the Fleischman Apartments, stop to view an exhibit that outlines the growth and development of the Jewish Home for the Aged (now Jewish Senior Life).

Jewish Old Folks Home, c. 1920

Circa 1920: Mrs. S. L. Goldman, from the Jewish Old Folks Home, with nurse Anna Korman. “Celebrating a Century of Caring,” one of the photos on exhibit at the Fleischman Apartments, courtesy of the Leonard N. Simons Jewish Community Archives.

 

Share on Facebook Share on Facebook